PROJECT PADEREWSKI Saving One of Buffalo's Great Urban Streetscapes
One of North America’s greatest urban vistas. Wooden workers cottages, taverns and retail buildings of Buffalo’s Polish colony provide the gateway for the towering art deco Buffalo Central Terminal. This five block area located on the Eastside of Buffalo, New York is one of the most endangered neighborhoods in America. (Paderewski Drive looking east toward Buffalo Central Terminal, December 2010)
2/28/11 - 367 Paderewski Drive Demo'd
Paderewski Drive looking towards Buffalo Central Terminal
Paderewski Drive at Lombard looking towards Fillmore Avenue
WHAT'S IN A NAME?
Ignacy Jan Paderewskil 6 November 1860 – 29 June 1941)
Originally named after one of Buffalo’s pioneer land surveyors, the continuity of Lovejoy Street was disrupted by the building of the New York Central Railroad Terminal in the late 1920s. Its current name, Paderewski Drive, pays homage to one of the most popular pianists and an important activist for Polish national freedom during the early 20th century.
Ignacy Jan Paderewski was born in Poland in 1860. He became one of Poland's world renowned pianists and composers, traveling throughout the United States in his private Pullman railcar. He was a proud customer of the New York Central Railroad who gave him their highest level of service. Although his own compositions are well known, Paderewski was widely praised for his renditions of Chopin. In addition to delighting Poland and the world with his music for over 50 years, Paderewski also became one of Poland's great statesmen.
Paderewski on the rear of his private Pullman railcar.
It was through Paderewski's efforts, with support from the American government and American people, that Poland regained her freedom after World War I. He was also one of the signers of the Paris Peace Treaty which was responsible for reestablishing the proper boundaries between Poland and her neighbors. Paderewski became the chief framer of the Polish Constitution of 1919 and served as Poland's delegate to the League of Nations in Geneva. Upon Poland's Independence, in 1918, Paderewski became its Prime Minister and Secretary of Foreign Affairs.
Paderewski’s connection to Buffalo is well documented. His first concerts took place in the city in 1892. In 1905, while on tour in London, Ontario, Paderewski was stricken with neuritis. He cancelled his tour and travelled to Niagara Falls, NY to be attended to by Buffalo’s Dr. Francis E. Fronczak. Fronczak was Commission of Health and a great fighter for the health and welfare of Buffalo’s Polish colony. During WWI, Fronczak and Paderewski both served on various committees to provide relief aid to Poland. During the early years of WWI, Paderewski visited Buffalo and Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario to visit the training camp for Polish Army volunteers. Many Poles living in Buffalo joined the volunteer militia with the goal of liberating their homeland from German control. Paderewski died in New York City in 1941.
Paderewski Drive as seen from Buffalo Central Terminal looking west towards Downtown Buffalo (2008).
FILLMORE AVENUE @ PADEREWSKI DRIVE GATEWAY
Paderewski Gateway buildings. 595 Fillmore Avenue on right is in danger.
605 Fillmore Avenue: Former offices of Dr. E.A. Biniszkiewicz. Best surviving example of Tudor Revival in Historic Polonia District (picture Dec 2010)
595 Fillmore Avenue: 1893-1906, owned by Joseph Jankowski. Surviving example of Eastlake architecture.
605 Fillmore Avenue, Corner of Paderewski Drive (Nov. 2010)
595 Fillmore Avenue: 1893-1906, owned by Joseph Jankowski. Surviving example of Eastlake architecture. Unoccupied; Currently at EXTREME risk. (picture Dec. 2010)
Barn and boarding house behind 505 Fillmore along Paderewski Drive. This unique building is at critical risk to being lost (Dec. 2010)
310 & 316 Paderewski at Lombard. Both of this retail buildings are at extreme risk (image Nov. 2010)
Paderewski Drive @ Lombard
320 Paderewski Drive (Nov. 2010)
322 Paderewski Drive (Nov. 2010)
328 Paderewski Drive (Nov. 2010)
344 Paderewski Drive (image Dec. 2010)
344 & 346 Paderewski Drive (image Nov. 2010)
346 Paderewski Drive (image Dec. 2010)
350 Paderewski Drive (image Nov. 2010)
350 & 354 Paderewski Drive (image Nov. 2010)
354 Paderewski Drive (Dec. 2010)
356 Paderewski Drive (Nov. 2010)
356 Paderewski Drive (Nov. 2010): Built as an automobile filling station in 1928 for S. Pogorzelski.
Paderewski Drive @ Sears Street. Corpus Christi Church, a National Historic Landmark, in background.
380 Paderewski Drive (Nov. 2010)
388 Paderewski Drive (Nov. 2010)
Paderewski Drive (Southside)
385 Paderewski Drive (image 2009). Built in 1949 as the Adam Plewacki VFW Post #799. An example of streamlined-modern architecture. Designed by Joseph Fronczak. Current called, Polonia Hall, is managed by the Urban Center.
VANISHING PADEREWSKI Recent losses are a call for urgency to develop this unique vista
Half the structures on the southside of Paderewski Drive betweeen Lombard and Gibson were tore down between 2009 & 2010. The urgency to preserve and develop Paderewski Drive is high. LOST: 309, 307 & 303 Paderewski Drive (March 14, 2009)
Same view. December 2010
Lost between March 2009 and December 2010
LOST: 303 Paderewski Drive (image March 2009)
LOST: 307 Paderewski Drive (image March 2009).
LOST: 309 Paderewski Drive (image March 2009)
LOST: 309 Paderewski Drive (image March 2009)
LOST: 343 Paderewski Drive (image March 2009).
LOST 343 & 341 Paderewski Drive (image March 2009)
Same view; Dec 2010
LOST: 323 Paderewski Drive (image March 2009).
LOST: 319 Paderewski Drive (image March 2009).
LOST 323, LOST 319, 317 Paderewski Drive (image March 2010)
Same view; December 2010
The eastend of Paderewski Drive.... Buffalo Central Terminal